At the beginning of the 19th century in Chisinau, it became necessary to create a new large Jewish cemetery. Traditionally, it was decided to establish it on the border of the city. The area near the so-called Skulyanskaya slingshot (today Milano Street) was chosen. The first burials date back to 1800. The Jewish cemetery was officially opened in 1825.
In Soviet times, the lower part of the cemetery was destroyed several times. On Pesach in 1957, a large part of the lower part of the cemetery was destroyed, and a park was laid out in its place. Tanks, tractors and even explosives were used to destroy the graves.