In 1989, the Jewish community of Orhei received the building in the center of the town. It was situated next to the place where one of the synagogues was located, completely destroyed during the Second World War, like the vast majority of buildings and structures in Orhei. It is a one-story building. The total area is about 100 square meters. An enclosed courtyard adjoins the house. The premises itself was built in 1950. The building has been renovated several times. Before the entrance, there was a sign with inscriptions in Russian and Romanian. In Romanian, it is indicated that this is a “prayer house”. The synagogue was used by the Jewish community for local events and meetings.
The building of the synagogue in the city of Orhei was practically not used for religious services and events. After 1989, there was no rabbi in Orhei. However, it became the center of the Jewish community, where festive events and meetings were held. There were several Torah scrolls in the synagogue, equipment for matzoth bakery, and religious paraphernalia. Despite the repair, the condition did not meet modern requirements for a building of this type. The complete absence of a security system led to robbery and destruction. The perpetrators were not identified. The community has drastically shrunk and aged. In the vicinity, in previously known Jewish settlements, there are practically no Jews left. Therefore, the decision was made by the Jewish Community of Moldova to restore the building of the synagogue and open in it a museum of the Jews of Orhei.