Liebermann-Villa On Lake Wannsee
The Liebermann-Villa on Lake Wannsee was built in 1910 as a summer residence for the painter Max Liebermann (1847-1935). Born to a wealthy Jewish family of industrialists, he was among the most successful artists of his generation. He was an early advocate of Impressionism in Germany, co founded the Berlin Secession and later presided over the Academy of Arts.
From 1910 Liebermann spent many peaceful summers at Wannsee with his wife Martha, his daughter Käthe and from 1916 his granddaughter Maria. The garden provided the artist with the central motif of his later career.
After years of neglect, the Liebermann-Villa was opened as a museum in 2006. Today it tells the story of the Liebermanns, their fate after the Nazis came to power in 1933, and the Villa’s turbulent post-war history. The exhibition rooms show a permanent display of Liebermann paintings alongside changing temporary exhibitions dedicated to the artist and his contemporaries. The fully reconstructed garden stands among the best examples of early twentieth-century “reform garden” principles.